Frenger have supplied their latest generation (X-Wing®) of ‘Radiant’ Passive Multiservice Chilled Beams (MSCB’s) to this four-storey 6,000m² building which is designed to accommodate their Computer Science facilities.
The former concrete-clad building known as the Bernard Crossland Building was built in 1970 and was indicative of that period’s architecture. However, the refurbishment couldn’t be further away from that style with X-Wing® ‘Radiant’ Passive Multiservice chilled beams providing an exposed MSCB solution that provides high levels of energy efficient passive cooling with high levels of thermal comfort for the buildings occupants. These attractive MSCB units also incorporate fully integrated LED Lighting to provide the indoor lit environment compliant to CIBSE LG7 and low glare solutions, fully DALI controlled.
The building was completed last summer and comprises reuse and extension of the Bernard Crossland Building and refurbishment of the adjacent 14 – 16 Malone Road connected via a new glazed link. The completed project provides 5,911m² floorspace (3,539m² refurbished existing floorspace and 2,372m² new floorspace).
X-Wing® ‘Radiant’ Passive chilled beams are manufactured from pure aluminium and seamless sinusoidal copper coils, which are decoiled from thousand metre drums of copper on Frenger’s in-house bespoke "state of the art" serpentine bending machine, to provide products with no joins in the copper waterway to eliminate and design out any risk of leakage. These highly efficient and attractive X-Wing units are also 100% easily recyclable.
X-Wing® radiant quotient is approximately 40% of the total cooling effect (the other 60% of cooling being generated by convective cooling effect) therefore, the ability of X-Wing® to cool by radiant absorption means that it can deliver 40% more cooling without any additional risk of draft when compared against an older type finned tube Passive beam (which are 95% convective).
Overall, and in keeping with Queen’s University’s, commitment to sustainability, the building was designed and constructed to minimise its impact on the environment and achieved the target of Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM) ‘Excellent’ rating.
For more information on Frenger's X-Wing 'Radiant' Passive Chilled Beam check out the X-Wing Product Page.